When is the Christmas bonus being paid and how much is it this year?
Payments are due to reach recipients in the first week of December.
As announced in the 2018 Budget, the Christmas Bonus has been raised to 100% for the first time in 10 years. An estimated 1.2 million people will benefit from the Christmas Bonus which is to be paid in the coming weeks - the total amount being spent will total €264.3 million.
Will I be eligible for the Christmas Bonus?
People who receive the following payments will receiving the Christmas Bonus this year:
- State Pensions and Widow’s/Widower’s/Surviving Civil Partner’s Pensions
- Invalidity Pension, Blind Pension, Disability Allowance, Carer’s Allowance, Carer’s Benefit, Partial Capacity Benefit, Disablement Benefit, Domiciliary Care Allowance and Guardian’s payments
- One-Parent Family Payment, Jobseeker’s Transition Payment, Deserted Wife’s Benefit and Allowance and Farm Assist
- Back to Work Enterprise Allowance, Community Employment, Rural Social Scheme, TÚS and Job Initiative
- Long-term Jobseeker’s Allowance, Supplementary Welfare Allowance, Daily Expenses Allowance (formerly Direct Provision Allowance)
- It’s important to note that some benefits require recipients to have been receiving the payments for a set amount for a time.
If you’re unsure about your eligibility you can contact your local Social Protection office for more information.
When will the Christmas Bonus be paid?
The Christmas Bonus will be paid in addition to any weekly payments for Irish pensioners and welfare beneficiaries in the first week of December (3 - 7 December 2018).
How much will be paid?
This year eligible recipients will receive 100% of their usual benefit in addition to their December payment. For example if you are over 26 and receive a weekly Job Seeker’s Allowance of €198 you will get a further €198 for the Christmas Bonus in the first week of December. More information can be found on the Department of Social Protection website.
Give yourself a little extra this Christmas
You could earn even more before Christmas by simply switching your household utilities. Currently by switching energy suppliers there are savings of up to €290 to be had. There’s also SIM-only mobile tariffs starting from just €5 and you could around €444 by switching your broadband. So why not see how much extra you can put back into your pocket by switching today?