Virgin Media TV Tips
Virgin Media’s first TV offering in Ireland - Horizon TV - launched in Ireland in September 2013, and proved to very popular with TV fans, particularly as the viewing experience has changed in recent years.
In January 2017, Virgin Media rebranded their TV offering to Virgin TV, and with it brought ‘Virgin Movies and Boxsets’, and the Virgin TV Anywhere app.
Features of Virgin TV
There are loads of great features available with Virgin TV, for example:
- You can use the Virgin TV box to record up to 4 programmes at the same time while watching a fifth;
- The box has 400Gb of recording space, which is enough to store up to 200 standard definition movies; and
- Virgin TV uses your viewing history to offer personalised suggestions on what to watch.
Here are some handy tips to help you utilise Virgin TV to the best of its potential.
Virgin TV remote control
The remote control connects via radio frequency so there is no need to point directly at the TV, and it can be paired to both the Virgin TV box as well as your actual TV set, so you only need one remote.
You can also turn your smart device into a remote control using the Virgin TV Anywhere app
Connect devices to your Virgin TV box
It is possible to connect connect PC’s, Macs, smartphones and tablets to your Virgin TV box so you can transform your devices into TV screens, which means you can watch your favourite shows from anywhere in the house.
It is generally better to connect via wired connection as WiFi speeds can vary and which may cause interference. If this is not possible you can optimise your wireless connection in a few different ways, including:
- Positioning your Virgin TV box high up and not placing obstructions around it; and
- Having the wireless router in the same room as your Virgin TV box, as walls or other dense obstacles weaken the signal.
Pin and parental controls
Not all movies are suitable for younger children, so using the parental controls and age limit options, you can restrict your child’s access to certain channels.
You can also manage your children’s viewing access by setting a purchase PIN code for renting movies in Virgin Movies and Boxsets.
Web players and streaming
The Virgin TV box also allows you to watch RTE Player, 3 Player and TG4 Player directly on your TV.
Meanwhile, Netflix subscribers can access the streaming service directly through the Virgin TV box on channel 300.