A guide to NOW TV - the 'no strings' streaming service
Interested in dipping your toe into paid TV content, but don’t want to sign up to a lengthy contract? NOW TV could be exactly what you’re looking for…
What is NOW TV?
NOW TV is a streaming service from Sky, which allows you to stream shows, movies and live sport without a contract.
What kind of content is available on NOW TV?
There are four main Passes available for NOW TV, depending on whether you want access to entertainment, cinema, kids TV, or sports.
Get the NOW TV passes on Entertainment for only €7.50 per month for 6 months and Kids only €7 per month. You can also currently get Sky Sports Pass for €19.50 per month for 3 months and the Sky Cinema Pass for €7.50 per month for 6 months.
There’s a 7-day free trial available to new users if you’d like to give it a go before signing up.
- Entertainment Pass: You can watch shows like Game of Thrones and Big Little Lies, as well as getting access to over 250 box sets on demand, plus access to 10 channels not available on free-to-air, such as Sky Atlantic, Sky Living, Discovery Channel and MTV.
- Sky Cinema Pass: is perfect for cinema fans, with over 1,000 movies on demand, including the latest blockbusters, as well as a new premiere every day. The Pass also gives you access to movie favourites, such as Forrest Gump, The Godfather, and Groundhog Day.
- Kids Pass: allows you to watch 1000s episodes of kids TV from the likes of Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network on demand with no adverts. This Pass costs just €7 a month, and there’s a 7-day free trial available too.
- Sky Sports Pass: This pass gives you access to the live sporting action on all seven Sky Sports channels. Or you can opt for the The Ultimate Sports Bundle which combines Sky Sports & Sports Extra Pass so you don’t miss any of the action.
What about Disney+?
The Disney+ app launched on NOW TV on 6 May 2020.
So, you can now watch Disney+ on your NOW TV Smart Stick, simply:
- Subscribe to Disney+ directly through Disney
- Download the app from the NOW TV device App Store
- Sign into your Disney account
- Start watching!
Disney+ isn’t included in any NOW TV passes and costs €69.99 a year or €6.99 a month.
How do I get access to NOW TV?
Once you choose a Pass and sign up, you can start streaming content instantly through your preferred device.
For streaming, NOW TV requires a minimum download speed of 2.5Mbps, 3G or 4G.
Both the NOW TV box and the Smart Stick turn your TV into a Smart TV, with catch up TV from the likes of All 4 and Virgin Media’s 3player, as well as access to apps, such as YouTube and Vevo.
The NOW TV box connects to your TV via a HDMI cable (which is supplied with the box), while the Smart Stick plugs directly into the HDMI port of your TV.
The Smart Stick is currently the cheapest streaming device on offer in Ireland, at just €25.
Buying both the Smart Stick and the NOW TV box in a bundle with Passes, is even better value.
Signing up to NOW TV
NOW TV often has introductory offers on its passes, and you can also get a 7-day free trial of the Sky Cinema Month Pass, the Kids Pass and the Entertainment Month Pass if you want to try them out first. There is no free trial period with any of the Sports Passes.
Unless you cancel, this free trial will roll into a Month Pass after the 7-day period.
Month Passes renew automatically unless they’re cancelled - however, as there’s no contract, you can stop renewal at any time.