The average gas and electricity bill
A question that’s often asked about gas and electricity bills is ‘how much is the average energy bill in Ireland’?
Well, according to the Commission for Energy Regulation (CER), the average Irish household uses 13,800 kW/h of gas and 5,300 kW/h of electricity per year.
Based on this average usage, the current bill size for an electricity customer standard tariffs would be €1136.02, while a gas customer on standard tariffs would pay €923.74.
In contrast, an electricity customers on the best deal in the market would pay €909.68, while a gas customer on the best deal would pay €762.97.
This amounts to a huge potential saving of up to €387 for customers who switch from standard tariffs to the cheapest deals on the market.
What if I don’t have the average electricity and gas consumption?
Everyone’s energy usage differs, and so the bill size and potential savings change from household-to-household.
We’ve identified three main energy user groups, depending on how much energy is used by the household in a year, as follows:
- Low energy users. An average ‘low user’ is defined in terms of energy use, as using 3,700 kWhs of electricity a year and 8,600 kWhs of gas a year;
- Medium energy users. An average ‘medium user’ uses 5,300 kWhs of electricity a year and 13, 800 kWhs of gas a year; and
- High energy users. An average ‘high user’ uses 6,800 kWhs of electricity a year and 17,200nkWhs of gas a year.
More information on each energy user group - including household size, and details on when they typically use their energy - is contained in the infographic below.
How do I figure how how much I can save?
As you can see from the above, electricity and gas consumption varies hugely from household to household.
The best way to see how much you can save by switching supplier is to use our free and impartial electricity and gas comparison tool.
The process only takes a few minutes, and you’ll need to have recent energy bills to hand. Here’s how it works:
- You tell us about your current energy use, which energy supplier you’re with, and how you pay your bills.
- We’ll recommend a list of energy suppliers and show you their offers, as well as how much you’ll save.
- You go through the details of each supplier and plan, and then choose the best option available.
- You choose the plan that’s right for you, and switch supplier with our help.
The online application form is really straightforward - you’ll just need to enter some information like your name and address, and your current meter reading.
It should take no more than 5 minutes, and then you’ll just need to confirm you wish to go ahead and switch supplier. We will contact your new supplier and forward your application to them. Once they receive and confirm this they’ll handle the switch with your old supplier.
All energy suppliers use the same wires and pipes, so you don’t need to worry about an interruption in supply.