A classic design coupled with a hi-speed, powerful chip makes the iPhone 12 a truly ‘smart’ phone. Here’s all you need to know about Apple’s 5G handset, including where to get the cheapest bill pay deals from Ireland’s best mobile networks.
What iPhone 12 models are on offer?
In Ireland, Apple has released four models:
Looking for the latest iPhone?
The iPhone 13 range is now on sale in Ireland and includes the following handsets:
What are the iPhone 12 key features?
As you’d expect from Apple, the iPhone 12 makes a classic design statement and comes packed with ground-breaking features:
- Classic, flat-edged design: besides looking great, the sturdy aluminium build with a ‘Ceramic Shield’ glass back and screen will make your handset more resistant to drops and scratches.
- Powerful A14 Bionic chip: ensures multi-tasking will be a breeze. Watch video, check your social media, take a call, and work on-the-go without a hitch. Improves battery life by 30% too.
- Super Retina XDR display: the high-end OLED display will promise stunning picture quality with vibrant, pop-out colour and ultrawide viewing angles. Visuals will look awesome wherever you are.
- Ultra-fast 5G downloads: for hi-speed streaming and gaming, running up 100 times faster than your 4G connection. A hexacore processor and 60Hz refresh rate guarantees a no lag, no stutter experience.
- Ultra-wide, dual camera with enhanced night mode: two 12MP lenses, one that lets 27% more light in meaning cleaner, blur-free photos, plus TrueDepth selfie camera. Dolby vision 4k video and Smart HDR 3 means perfect, true-to-life imagery in every shot.
You also get:
- iOS 14 with new app library
- 2x optical zoom & 5x digital zoom
- Li-Ion long-life battery
- 64GB, 128GB or 256GB option
- Faster Face ID
- MagSafe & QI wireless charging
- USB-C to Lightning cable
What colours are on offer?
If you opt for the iPhone 12 or iPhone 12 mini, there are five colours to choose between, including a new blue finish:
The Pro and Pro Max handsets come in Gold, Silver, Graphite & Pacific Blue.
How much is the iPhone 12?
You can buy a new iPhone 12 handset from €929 from the Apple website the prices vary depending on the memory size you choose:
- €929 for a 64GB iPhone12
- €979 for a 128GB iPhone 12
- €1,099 for a 256GB iPhone 12
If you are looking to upgrade an iPhone 7 or newer, you could get between €50 and €400 off your new iPhone 12 with Apple Trade In via the Apple website, terms and conditions apply.
What’s in the iPhone 12 box?
- iPhone 12 handset
- Lightning to USB-C cable
Apple has decided not to include a power adaptor or EarPods with the iPhone 12 as part of its Zero Waste Programme to eliminate waste.
Which iPhone 12 model should you choose?
The four new iPhone 12 handsets come with some notable variations in design, camera, memory, and battery life.
The iPhone 12 mini is the cheapest and smallest handset and the iPhone 12 Pro Max, as you’d expect, is the most powerful and expensive phone. In fact, the Pro Max handset boasts the largest display Apple has ever released.
What are the main differences?
Design & display
All handsets have Super Retina XDR OLED display, but the screen size and build for each model differs:
|iPhone 12 mini||5.4”||Aluminium|
|iPhone 12 Pro||6.1”||Stainless steel|
|iPhone 12 Pro Max||6.7”||Stainless steel|
The iPhone 12 Pro and Pro Max handsets have really upped the ante with a camera specification to rival Samsung. The LiDAR scanner uses laser tech to calculate depth and light, delivering a new standard in augmented-reality.
|iPhone 12 mini||Dual||2x optical, 5x digital||-|
|iPhone 12||Dual||2x optical, 5x digital||-|
|iPhone 12 Pro||Triple||4x optical, 10x digital||telephoto lens, LiDAR scanner|
|iPhone 12 Pro Max||Triple||5x optical, 12x digital||telephoto lens, LiDAR scanner|
The Pro Max is the standout model here, with around 20% more video and audio playback time than others in the iPhone 12 series.
|Model||Multimedia play||Music play|
|iPhone 12 mini||15 hours||50 hours|
|iPhone 12||17 hours||65 hours|
|iPhone 12 Pro||17 hours||65 hours|
|iPhone 12 Pro Max||20 hours||80 hours|
The iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini comes with a non-expandable 64GB memory slot and options of 128 GB & 256GB. The iPhone 12 Pro and Pro Max model starts at 128GB, but you can scale up to 512GB storage.
|Model||Memory min||Memory Max|
|iPhone 12 mini||64GB||256 GB|
|iPhone 12||64GB||256 GB|
|iPhone 12 Pro||128 GB||512 GB|
|iPhone 12 Pro Max||128 GB||512 GB|
Looking for a cheaper iPhone?
The latest models often come with eye-watering price tags. Why not check out some cheaper options?
iPhone 12 FAQs
When was the iPhone 12 released?
Does the iPhone 12 come with a charger?
A USB-C to Lightning cable is provided but you will have to purchase a USB-C power adapter separately because they are no longer supplied in the box.
Does the iPhone 12 have Touch ID or fingerprint sensing?
No, despite rumours it would return for the iPhone 12, Apple has made enhancements to their Face ID technology instead.
Does the iPhone 12 support wireless charging?
Yes, it has Qi and MagSafe wireless charging up to 15w, but you will have to purchase a wireless charger.
Does the iPhone come with AirPods?
No, you will need to use your existing earbuds and headphones or purchase some new ones.
How long does it take to charge an iPhone 12?
The iPhone 12 is fast-charge capable and will gain up to 50% charge in 30 minutes with a 20w adapter. Wireless charging will be slower.
How much is iPhone 12 mobile phone insurance?
Is the iPhone 12 waterproof?
The iPhone 12 has the IP68 standard and is water-resistant to a depth of 6 metres for 30 minutes.