The new P40 series from Huawei might lack Google software, but breaks new ground for smartphone cameras. Here’s what you need to know about the new Huawei flagship handsets.
What devices have been announced?
Huawei has announced four new handsets as part of the new P40 series:
- P40 Lite
- P40 Pro
- P40 Pro+
When will the P40 be released in Ireland?
The P40 series went on sale in Ireland on 7th April 2020, except for the P40 Pro+ which is being released in May 2020.
There is currently no official release date for the P40 Lite in Ireland.
Where can you order the Huawei P40?
You can currently order the P40 and the P40 Pro on the Huawei website.
The P40 Pro+ and the P40 Lite are not currently available in Ireland.
Huawei P40 key features at a glance
The P40 range has some exciting features including:
- 50MP camera: The camera setup is different for each device in the P40 range, but they all offer a big improvement on the P30 range. The 50MP main camera is one of the standout features on all the devices utilising RYYB tech to improve picture quality.
- Overflow display (P40 Pro & Pro+ only): All the P40 devices have excellent HD displays, but the P40 Pro and Pro+ boast their new Overflow display which wraps around the corners of the handset - even on the top and bottom.
- 90Hz refresh rate (P40 Pro & Pro+ only): offering improved picture quality with less motion blurring.
What colours can you choose from?
The standard P40 handset is available in three colours:
- Deep Sea Blue
- Ice White
The P40 Pro is available in the colours above and also has two extra colour options:
- Black Ceramic
- White Ceramic
In addition to these five colour options, the P40 Pro+ will also be available in:
- Blush Gold
- Silver Frost
Please be aware, not all of these colours may be available in Ireland upon release, so always check with the supplier.
Can you use Google on the P40 phones?
The Huawei P40 series is the first range of handsets being released without any Google apps installed on them, that means among others:
- No Gmail
- No Google Drive
- No Google Maps
- No Play Store
Instead of these Google apps, Huawei are releasing their P40 phones with their own branded apps that aim to offer similar functionality.
For example, the Huawei voice assistant is called Celia and replaces Google Assistant. Celia can be voice activated using the phrase “Hey Celia” to start an audio search.
Huawei P40 FAQs
Does the Huawei P40 have dual SIM?
It has dual SIM plus eSIM and you can select which two you want at any one time.
This means you can be online and on a call at the same time, or receiving calls.
How do you take a screenshot on the Huawei P40?
There are three different ways you can take a screenshot on the P40:
- Hold the power and volume down buttons at the same time
- Swipe down from the status bar to open the shortcuts panel then select take a screenshot
- Double tap the screen using your knuckle
Is the Huawei P40 waterproof?
It isn’t fully waterproof but it’s splash, water and dust resistant to IP53 rating.
Damage caused by water isn’t covered under the warranty.
What networks are compatible with the Huawei P40?
The P40 supports these networks:
- NA and NSA
- Most mainstream frequencies
This gives you the scope to be connected when you travel around the world.