48's SIM-only mobile deals
The 48 prepay, SIM-only deal from 48 gives you the freedom to stream video, listen to music and chat all day long without committing to a monthly contract.
48’s prepay, SIM-only deal can set you free with no contract and the freedom to stream video, listen to music and chat with your friends as much as you like. What’s more, you’re in control of your data and how you use it.
48 likes to keep things simple, so offer just one plan. For a set monthly price, you can get All Data plus all calls and texts thrown in.
Why choose a prepay, SIM-only plan?
A prepay SIM-only deal is a good alternative to bill pay if you already own a phone and need lots of data but don’t want to commit to a monthly bill.
Prepay deals work well if you:
- are under 18
- have a poor credit history
- use lots of data for music & streaming
Why choose 48?
Ireland’s first totally digital mobile brand, 48 is powered by Three’s extensive network and offers prepay SIM-only plans. With a prepay plan from 48 you can:
- Use your data how you like: 48 gives you full control of your data. You can spend it, save it or share it - the choice is yours. You can even donate it to FoodCloud to help to tackle food waste and climate change.
- Move anytime: 48 is commitment-free. You can start with 1GB free to make sure you like the service and coverage is right for you. If you’re happy with the network, you can sign up and pay for all your data, calls and texts up-front, once a month.
- Get great customer service & community help: 48’s online staff are there for you from 9am to 9pm. If you need help after hours you can visit the 48 community to get answers from customers like you.
What does a 48 membership get me?
Once you’ve signed up to 48 with your log in details, you will get:
- All Data & 12GB EU/UK roaming
- All calls to any network
- All texts
- 4G connection
- Monthly membership
* Fair Usage of 200GB applies to All Data. Fair Usage of 5,000 minutes and 5,000 texts applies.
How does it work?
Here’s what you need to do to sign up:
- Order a SIM and within 3-5 days you’ll get your free SIM card and login details
- Activate it via the website or My48 app for your free 1GB and enjoy 7 days of free data
- Buy a membership and pay the activation fee if you want to stay with 48
Three’s mobile network coverage
48 uses Three, one of Ireland’s leading mobile networks. Three operates 3G, 4G and 5G networks, with 99% 4G coverage nationwide.
Three has one of Ireland’s largest 5G networks and plans to roll out to more 5G areas in the next few years.
Winner at the Switcher.ie
Mobiles Awards 2022
- Best Mobile Network for Data
- Best SIM-Only Pay As You Go Plan
- Best Value Mobile Network
- Mobile Network of the Year
Can I move my mobile number over to 48?
Yes, when you sign up with 48 you can choose to keep your existing mobile number or select a new one.
If you choose to move your number, you can do this straight away or another time.
There’s a simple step by step guide to show you how to do this once you have signed up.
Does 48 have a fair usage policy?
Yes. Although 48 state that their prepay Sim-only deal has unlimited calls and texts, you’re restricted to the following fair usage limits:
- 5,000 minutes per month
- 5,000 texts per month
Full details about any other restrictions e.g. the numbers you can call and text and where you can call and text from, are detailed in their price plan.
If you make calls and texts outside of the fair usage limits, you’ll be charged at the applicable charge rate.
Does my phone need to be unlocked?
Yes, to join a SIM-only plan you will need to unlock your phone. You may need to contact your current mobile phone provider, but you may like to read our guide about unlocking your phone first.
Is prepay SIM-only cheaper than bill pay SIM-only?
Prepay means you pay upfront for your data, calls and texts. Whether prepay is cheaper depends on your level of use and how you prefer to manage your payments.
Find out how much data you use on a monthly basis and then look for a SIM-only deal that reflects your usage.
Get a SIM only deal with the calls, texts and data you need for less.
It only takes a few minutes to find a cheaper deal and start saving.