TV providers in Ireland
The main providers offering TV in Ireland are
- Virgin Media
Sky offer TV only deals - for eir, Virgin Media and Vodafone you need to sign up to a broadband package for one of their TV plans.
Ireland’s best TV providers
- eir TV There are two main eir TV packages: eir TV Plus comes with 63 channels, while eir TV Extra has 81. eir TV offers much of the same features and channels as Sky, Virgin Media and Vodafone. The only real disadvantage of eir TV is that you can’t sign up to it as a standalone deal.
- Sky TV is one the most popular TV packages. With exclusive channels like Sky Atlantic, the Sky Q 1TB box as standard, and access to the Sky Go app. Sky Cinema, Sky Sports and Netflix can be added on to any sky TV package.
- Virgin TV is available as a bundle with broadband and home phone. The only real disadvantage of Virgin Media TV is that you can’t sign up to it as a standalone deal.
- Vodafone TV comes with over 80 channels where you can enjoy all of the Irish and UK channel favourites. The only real disadvantage of Vodafone TV is that you can’t sign up to it as a standalone deal.
Who provides sports channels?
eir, Sky, Virgin Media & Vodafone all offer sports packages.
- eir sport comes FREE with all eir broadband plans. You get eir sport 1&2 and their FreeSports Channel.
- Sky Sports can be added to any Sky TV plan for an additional monthly charge. Sky Sports comes with 8 sports channels, including Sky Sports Football, Sky Sports Golf, and Sky Sports F1 and more. Existing Sky TV customers can also add Sports Extra for an additional monthly charge. Enjoy UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League, Premier League games, Scottish FA Cup, Champions Cup and Challenge Cup Rugby, plus more.
- Virgin Media Sport is standard for all Virgin Media TV customers. Their main TV plans also come with Sky Sports Mix and Sky Sports News as standard, while Virgin Bigger TV also comes with Eurosport 1&2.
Who provides movie channels?
- eir TV - access to Film 4 and TCM as standard. You can also choose to add on Sky Cinema, for an additional monthly charge.
- Sky TV - B4U Movies and Movie 24 are included free of charge. Sky Cinema has 11 movie channels, and a new film premiere every day. Sky has hundreds of movies on demand, you can also buy and keep movies from the Sky Store, which will then be added to your Sky Q box. Or opt for the Sky Signature with Sky Cinema plan, which has dedicated Sky Cinema channels included.
- Virgin Media TV - access to Virgin Movies & Box Sets as standard. You can also add on Sky Cinema for an additional monthly cost.
- Vodafone TV - access to Film 4 as standard. You can also choose to add on Sky Cinema, for an additional monthly charge.
What TV boxes are available?
Each provider has its own TV box, which you use to navigate through their TV services.
- eir TV box allows you to pause, rewind and record where you can store hundreds of hours of TV. eir TV also comes with 7-day catch up with access to on demand entertainment and Apple TV+ original TV shows.
- Sky Q box allows you to pause, rewind and record and the 1TB - which comes as standard on all TV plans - allows you to store up to 500 hours of TV.
- Virgin TV 360 box has pause, rewind and record functionality, and you can store hundreds of hours of TV. You can also access Virgin Replay TV and built in apps, such as Netflix.
- Vodafone TV box allows you to pause, rewind and record and you can store up to 300 hours of SD TV. You can also access Restart TV and 7-day catch up, as well as Netflix.
How do I choose a TV package? What should I think about?
When you’re comparing tv deals, think about:
- Your budget
- If you want multi-room
- If you want to bundle your TV with broadband and/phone, or a standalone plan.
- What channels you want - not all providers offer the same channels with their plans.
- Add-ons - like Sky Cinema, Sky Sports, or additional HD channels, these will more than likely mean an increase in your monthly cost.
What additional TV services can I get?
There are lots of optional extras depending on your provider and what you’re interested in,e.g.:
- An extra TV box, to give you the ability to watch TV in more than one room. Usually, you will have to pay for the extra box, and there’ll be an additional monthly subscription for multiroom viewing, too.
- HD channels and boxsets, to supplement the standard channels and content. Some providers offer this as standard, while with others there will be an additional monthly cost.
- The ability to stream online players - like RTE Player and Virgin Media Player, through your set-top box. Several providers have this option and there’s no extra charge.
- On-demand content, like movies and TV shows that you can order through your set-top box and pay a once-off fee for.
- Sports add-ons, like eir sport, Sky Sports, or Virgin Media Sports. If you go for an eir broadband plan, you will get eir sport pack for free, and Virgin Media TV customers get Virgin Media Sport as standard with their packages. Otherwise, you will have to pay a monthly subscription.
- A Sky Cinema add-on with 11 dedicated channels, a new premiere every day, and access to 1,000 movies on demand. There are some other movie channels available as standard from some providers, so make sure to compare these before choosing your deal.
Can I get broadband with my TV package?
If you need broadband in addition to your TV plan, think about bundling them up and getting them both from the same provider - this could save you money in the long-run. eir and Vodafone require you to sign up to broadband to get their tv packages.
TV & Broadband packages
Some providers only offer TV as part of a broadband and TV bundle. eir, Sky, Virgin Media and Vodafone all offer TV & broadband bundles.
TV, Broadband & Phone
If you use your home phone and want to keep it then eir, Sky, Virgin Media and Vodafone all offer triple play packages.