Should you get Amazon Prime Video in Ireland?
Amazon Prime Video, the popular streaming service showing movies & TV is available in Ireland. Here’s all you need to know about Amazon’s on-demand video platform, Prime Video.
What is Amazon Prime Video?
It’s an on-demand streaming service that allows you to watch the latest movies, TV shows and live sport from a range of devices like your TV, laptop or tablet.
Prime Video is a subscription service for which you pay a monthly fee but is also included as one of the benefits of Amazon Prime membership.
Is Prime Video available in Ireland?
Yes, you can get Amazon Prime Video in Ireland, either as a standalone streaming service or as part of Amazon Prime. However, the complete Prime Video catalogue on Amazon.co.uk is only available to Prime members living in the UK and Channel Islands.
You can still watch exclusive Amazon Originals as well as 1000’s of popular movies and TV shows with Primevideo.com.
What do you get with Prime Video?
Amazon Prime Video includes:
- Unlimited, on-demand streaming of thousands of movies and TV shows
- Ability to watch on a variety of devices
- Multiple users can view across three devices at the same time
- Ad-free, uninterrupted viewing
- 100’s of movies and boxsets available in 4K UHD
What’s available to watch on Amazon Prime Video?
- Amazon Original movies like Hustlers and the latest releases like A Star is Born and Parasite
- Amazon Original TV series like Jack Ryan, The Boys & The Man in the High Castle
- Exclusive access to live sports events like the Autumn Nations Cup
- The latest season of The Grand Tour, The Expanse & This is Us
- Add-on channels like ITV Hub, HAYU, MTV, Shudder, Discovery Kids, Starzplay
If you can’t find what you are looking for, you can also pay extra for award-winning TV series like Succession and family movies like The Greatest Showman to watch instantly on your TV or devices.
Some UK content is not available to residents of the Republic of Ireland, for instance, Live Premier League matches.
How to watch Prime Video
You can watch Prime video TV and movies on a variety of different platforms, but you’ll need to download the Prime Video App if it’s not already installed on your device.
- Smart TVs
- Games consoles
- Mobile devices
- Blu-Ray players
- Set-top boxes and media players
- All Amazon devices
- Laptop & PCs supported by Prime Video playback
You can also watch Prime Video on your computer using your web browser just make sure you are running the latest version of the web browser.
How much does Prime Video cost?
In Ireland, you can get Prime Video for £5.99 per month. The price is charged in GBP because Amazon don’t run a dedicated Irish Amazon Prime service.
You can also watch Prime Video as part of the Amazon Prime membership package. This costs around £7.99 per month or £79.00 per year.
If you don’t want to sign up to Prime Video, you can still rent or buy videos to watch instantly. They will be charged to your payment method if you already have an Amazon account.
Can you get a Prime Video free trial in Ireland?
Yes, free trials are available for both memberships if you’re a new customer.
You can get a 7 day free trial of Prime Video in Ireland and then pay £5.99 per month and cancel anytime.
If you’d like to try the full Amazon Prime membership, you can get a 30-day free trial. This option includes free, unlimited priority (2-day) delivery and other Prime benefits.
Start your 30 day free trial with Amazon Prime
Then watch Amazon Movies, TV & Sport on Prime Video for £7.99 per month. Includes 2-day free delivery and much more.
What does Amazon Prime include in Ireland?
If you are thinking about signing up to Amazon Prime, the membership offers a raft of extra benefits alongside the movie and TV streaming service:
- Free, unlimited priority (two day) delivery to the Republic of Ireland
- Free Kindle books & magazines from Prime Reading
- Borrow one book per month from Kindle Owners’ Lending Library
- Free, unlimited photo storage on Prime Photos
- Prime Early Access to lightning deals & special offers
- Prime exclusive deals only available to Prime members
- Free next day delivery to all UK addresses
Amazon Prime Music is not available for Irish Prime members but new customers can subscribe to Amazon Music Unlimited separately for a 3 months free trial.
How fast is Amazon Prime delivery in Ireland?
As an Amazon Prime member, you get unlimited priority two-day delivery at no extra cost on eligible Prime items with no minimum spend.
You’ll need to order Amazon Prime eligible items if you wish to qualify for priority, free delivery. So
If you don’t have Amazon Prime membership, you can qualify for free shipping on orders of £20 or more (including local VAT) for eligible items, dispatched by Amazon. However, delivery can typically take up to 6 days.
Can students get a discount on Amazon Prime or Prime Video?
Yes, Amazon offers Prime Student for higher education students in Ireland at a discounted rate of around €4.44 euro (£3.99) per month or €43 (£39) per year.
If you want to trial it first, Amazon is offering a generous Prime Student six-month free trial to students living in the Republic of Ireland. You will need to provide evidence of enrolment and a valid academic address to sign up.
Try Amazon Prime Student with a 6 month free trial
Then enjoy Prime Video, free delivery & exclusive deals with Prime at £3.99 per month
Is it easy to cancel Amazon Prime or Prime Video?
If you no longer want Prime Video or Amazon Prime it is easy to cancel anytime online. Just remember that after your free trial, your membership will auto-renew unless you cancel before the renewal date.
Cancelling your Prime membership
To cancel your Amazon Prime membership:
- Hover over Account & Lists
- In the dropdown menu click Your Prime Membership
- Select ‘Manage Membership’
- Select ‘End Membership’ from the dropdown menu
- Confirm your choice (you may be asked to do this several times)
If you accidentally signed up or have not placed an order using Amazon Prime you are eligible for a refund.
To cancel your Prime Video membership:
- Hover over Account & Lists
- In the dropdown menu click Your Prime Membership
- Click ‘Manage Membership’ (Update, cancel and more)
- Click ‘Do not continue’ to cancel a Prime Video free trial
- Click ‘Cancel membership’ to end a paid membership
Is Amazon Prime worth it?
If you buy frequently from Amazon and want free, fast delivery paying extra for Prime is worth considering.
Guaranteed quick delivery can be especially useful if you live in a rural area.
If you’re an ardent movie fan and boxset binger, it is definitely worth signing up to a free trial to see what’s on offer.
Prime Video streams many original, quality TV series and films alongside a choice of established and popular TV & movies that you won’t find on other streaming sites.
Avid readers will also enjoy the free access to books offered by Prime Reading and the Kindle Lending Library.
Should you sign up for Amazon Prime or Prime Video?
If you find that delivery is often slow and expensive where you live, then it could be worth paying a couple of extra euros per month to gain the benefits of Amazon Prime alongside Prime Video.
Amazon Prime Video FAQs
Are there any Prime Video discounts for pensioners?
No, you can’t get a discount if you are older or retired, although you may be able to get Prime Video as part of a broadband or mobile bill pay offer.
Eir is currently offering free Amazon Prime Video for a whole year if you sign up with them. You can find out more about the deal at eir Prime Video offer.
Can I download Amazon Prime Video movies & TV shows?
Yes, you can. To download Prime Video content for offline viewing.
- Open the Prime Video app on your device, and find the title you want to download.
- Click the download icon and you’ll be given download options.
- TV shows: To download individual episodes, view the list of episodes and select the download icon.
Can I give Amazon Prime or Prime Video as a gift?
No, you can’t give Amazon Prime as a gift at the moment.
You’re also unable to use an Amazon Gift Card to pay for Prime membership.
How do I log in to Amazon Prime Video?
Most devices require the Prime Video app to stream content. If you are planning to watch Prime Video on:
- Your Smart TV: Find the Amazon Prime Video app in the Apps area on your TV and sign in with your email address and password
- Your mobile device: Download the Amazon Prime Video app on your device and sign in with your email address and password
- Your laptop or PC: Sign in to your Amazon account and you should automatically be able to watch or download TV and movies on your computer if the web browser is up to date