How good is satellite broadband in Ireland?
If you’re struggling to get fibre or ADSL broadband in your rural location, satellite broadband could be the answer. Here’s what you need to know about satellite broadband in Ireland.
What is satellite broadband?
Satellite broadband is set up in your home by installing a satellite dish, which is used to send and receive data to and from a satellite in space.
If you can’t connect to the national broadband infrastructure because you live in a remote or rural location, satellite broadband offers an alternative solution.
Who offers satellite broadband in Ireland?
Here are some of the providers in Ireland that offer satellite broadband:
- bigblu (previously Europasat)
- Irish Satellite Broadband
What are the pros and cons of satellite broadband?
Here are the main advantages and disadvantages of using satellite broadband compared with a more standard type e.g. fibre:
- Can be connected to any home
- Offers improved speed in rural areas
- Connection is usually reliable
- Latency can affect gaming
- Installation is expensive
- Data is usually capped
Most people that choose satellite broadband have very limited options due to their location.
So, although it can’t compete with the speed or unlimited data that fixed-line plans offer, it enables you to be connected, and may be faster than another service you’ve tried.
What are the alternatives to satellite broadband?
This largely depends on where you live and what other options are available to you.
If you need fast broadband that can cope with multiple devices being used at the same time, then satellite broadband is unlikely to work for you.
What is the best satellite broadband plan?
The best plan for you will depend on a few things, here’s what you need to consider:
- Your budget: Compare equipment and installation costs as well as ongoing monthly costs. Check each plan’s introductory discount period and follow-on price per month.
- The speed you need: Compare the average or ‘up to’ speeds you can get at your location.
- Data limits: Work out what you need to use it for and how much data this is likely to add up to each month. For example, streaming music and movies uses up a lot of data.
Get super fast broadband from just €30 a month
It only takes a few minutes to find a cheaper deal and start saving