Before you can get a mortgage to buy a home in Ireland you’ll need a deposit. Here’s how they work and how much you’ll need to have saved.
It’s the money you need to put towards buying a property alongside the money you get from a mortgage.
For example, if you contribute €50,000 towards buying a property worth €250,000 you have a 20% deposit. The remaining 80% (€200,000) you would need to borrow using a mortgage, this is also called your loan to value.
Asking you to put down a deposit on a property protects mortgage lenders if you fall behind on your repayments, and reduces their risk of lending.
In Ireland you need a deposit of at least:
The size of your deposit will also have an affect on the mortgages you’ll be eligible for:
It can take a little while to save up enough money for a deposit to buy your first home.
While there is no one best way to save up for a mortgage deposit, some things you could do to speed things up include:
It’s also worth considering setting a goal. Work out how much you need to save each month to hit your target and stick to it.
Saving a mortgage deposit can take a long time, but there are some ways to get help towards the cost.
If you’re a first-time buyer purchasing a new build home in Ireland, you could qualify for the Help to Buy incentive.
The scheme ordinarily offers a tax rebate worth up to 5% of the purchase price of your property.
However, the value of the scheme has been temporarily increased to a maximum of €30,000 or 10% of the purchase price of the property, whichever is the lesser, until 31 December 2021.
You can find out more about the Help to Buy incentive and how to apply on the Citizens Information website.
Unless it is extended further, the Help to Buy incentive is scheduled to close at the end of 2021.
Many borrowers in Ireland get financial help from their parents or other family members to buy their first home.
If you’re getting money from a family member towards your deposit you’ll also need a letter confirming it’s a gift from the person giving you the money. This letter should be signed and include:
It’s also worth checking if there are any tax implications, as large gifts could potentially fall within the scope of gifts and inheritance tax.
Find the best first time buyer and home mover mortgage deals in Ireland using our comparison.
No, the funds being used as a deposit for a mortgage application in Ireland cannot be borrowed.
All lenders in Ireland check the Central Credit Register as part of the application process, which includes all the details of all personal mortgage, overdrafts, loans, and credit cards, so if you’ve taken out a loan to use for your deposit, they’ll decline your application.
No, you can’t get a mortgage in Ireland without putting down a deposit.
Central Bank rules require first time buyers to have a minimum 10% deposit and non-first-time home buyers a minimum 20% deposit.
Lenders can make exemptions to these deposit requirements, but there is a limit to the number of exemptions they’re allowed to make so they’re not very common.
If you qualify, the Help to Buy scheme could also help towards your deposit if you’re buying your first home. The rebate it offers is equivalent to 5% of the purchase price, effectively reducing the amount you need for a deposit to just 5%.
Yes, you can usually use a gift from friends or family towards your deposit, but there are some rules that you’ll need to be aware of.
Many lenders ask for a gift letter if your deposit funds have been gifted to you, you can download a template gift letter from the AIB website.
It’s a good idea to use a separate savings account while you’re saving for a mortgage, as this can help you earn the best interest rate possible and keep track on how much you have saved.
When it comes to transferring your funds to your solicitor you may need to move it to your current account first.
You usually need to transfer the deposit funds shortly after signing your contracts. At this point you’ve legally agreed to buy the property and are in the process of completing the purchase.