What is broadband only?
A broadband-only deal is one that offers an internet connection without any additional services, such as TV or home phone. These deals are perfect if you don’t need these add-ons, and you will usually save money as they tend to be cheaper than other broadband packages.
Can I get broadband without a landline?
It is possible to get broadband-only deals without a landline - at the moment, Virgin Media is one of the main providers that offers home broadband without needing to install a phone line.
If you’re happy to get your broadband via phone line, but simply don’t want a phone package added onto your broadband deal, there are plenty of providers to choose from, such as eir, Pure Telecom, and Vodafone.
Why choose broadband only?
There are several reasons why you might opt for an internet-only deal:
- You don’t require a home phone package, because you use a mobile phone and have good coverage at home.
- Broadband-only plans can save you money, as they are generally cheaper than bundles.
- You don’t watch traditional TV, and instead use streaming services like Amazon Prime, Netflix or NOW TV.
How do I compare broadband only deals?
Comparing broadband-only deals is easy using our comparison tool. When you’re reviewing plans, think about:
- Price. This will probably be the most important factor when it comes to choosing a broadband package.
- Broadband speed. The speed you need will depend on what you’ll be using the broadband for, and the speeds available to you will depend on the types of broadband and providers operating in your area.
- Contract length. Make sure to check this before signing up so you know how long you’ll be tied into your plan.
- Discount period. Sometimes discounts last for the whole contract length, and other times they’re for a shorter period. Check this before signing up, and make note of when the discount period ends, so you can budget accordingly.
- Set-up costs. Some providers offer free installation, while with others there’ll be an upfront charge.
What is the best broadband only deal?
The best broadband-only plan for you will depend on what’s important to you.
If you live in a busy household, you’ll probably want to consider going for an unlimited deal - these have become increasingly popular and are now available from most providers. If you opt for one of these deals, you won’t need to worry about data limits or additional charges for going over these.
Can I add TV or phone?
Can’t live without your TV and/or home phone with your broadband plan? Don’t worry - many providers will allow you to bundle your broadband plan with a home phone or TV deal.
- If you want to get a TV and broadband package, there are 4 main providers in the Irish market. The Mix 240 plan from Virgin Media is the cheapest package on the market at the moment.
- Meanwhile, if you just want to bundle broadband and phone, Pure Telecom offers the cheapest plan.
- You can also opt for a triple-play package, which comes with broadband, phone and TV all in one. The cheapest broadband, TV and phone package on the market at the moment is the Mix 240 plan from Virgin Media.