A guide to the basic Sky TV packages
Sky TV is generally considered best in class. We've got all the info you need, whether you want a standalone TV plan, or you’d prefer a package with broadband and phone included too.
Sky TV is widely regarded as best-in-class, and the company offers a variety of packages - from its Original TV bundle, to packages with Sky Box Sets, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema included - so there’s something to suit every viewer.
An overview of the Sky Original TV Bundle – the basic Sky TV package
The Sky Original TV bundle is Sky’s most basic TV package. It comes with:
- On-Demand & Catch-Up TV;
- The ability to pause, rewind and record; and
- Access to Sky Go, which allows you to watch TV on the move.
As well as these features, the next generation Sky Q box with 1TB storage also comes as standard.
This plan is a great option if you’re looking for a fuss-free package that gives you access to some of the best entertainment out there.
What channels do you get with basic Sky TV package?
The Sky Original TV bundle comes with over 50 channels, including all of the BBC, RTÉ, Channel 4, and TV3 channels, as well as Sky Atlantic, Sky Living and Sky News.
Sky’s Original TV Package - package extras
There are loads of extras you could consider with your basic Sky TV package, including:
- Sky Sports. You can add on Sky Sports to any basic Sky TV plan for an additional monthly charge to get access to content like Premier League games, major golf tournaments, and the F1.
- Sky Cinema can also be added on to any basic Sky TV package. If you do so, you’ll get access to 11 premium Cinema channels and over 1,000 movies on demand.
- Sky Box Sets and HD. If you want even more content, you could add on Sky Box Sets and HD to your basic TV package - you’ll get a large selection of channels in stunning HD and access to over 350 Sky Box Sets available to watch on demand.
- Sky Go is an added bonus with all Sky TV packages - it’s included free of charge and means you can watch top content on the move via your smartphone or tablet.
If you want to get access to Virgin Media Sports, you’ll need to sign up directly with Virgin Media, and access the content via their app.
I want to watch Sky TV in another room - what is the cost?
Anyone in a busy household will know that it’s difficult to always reach an agreement on what to watch. This is where Sky Multiscreen can come in handy, as it allows you to watch different Sky TV channels in different rooms, at the same time.
This costs an extra €16 per month, and you’ll also have to pay a once-off €120 fee for each Sky Q Mini box you need - i.e. one per TV.
Are there other Sky TV packages to consider?
If you’d like access to even more channels, the Sky Variety TV bundle might be the one for you.
This plan comes with all of the features included with the Original bundle, but has over 100 channels - including everything from the Disney channel to MTV and National Geographic.
You can also include any of the add-ons with this plan too - meaning you can get a package that suits you perfectly.
Bundling your TV with broadband and phone
If you’re someone who likes to bundle together their broadband, phone and TV, Sky also has a number of bundles that could suit you.
The Sky Original TV Bundle + Sky Fibre Unlimited & Talk Freetime is a popular option for customers who want to bundle.
In addition to all of the features of the Original TV bundle, this one also comes with unlimited Sky Fibre broadband with speeds up to 100Mb, and inclusive off-peak calls to Republic of Ireland local and national landlines.
Like the standalone TV deals, with this bundle, customers can also choose to add on Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, or both, if they so wish.