A guide to the basic Sky TV packages
Sky TV is generally considered best in class. We’ve got all the info you need, whether you want a standalone TV plan, or you’d prefer a package with broadband and phone included too.
Sky TV is widely regarded as best-in-class. The company offers a standard package - called the Sky Entertainment pack - which comes with 90 channels, and customers can then personalise their bundle with a range of optional add-ons, if they wish.
An overview of the Sky Entertainment pack – the basic Sky TV package
The Sky Entertainment pack comes with:
- On-Demand & Catch-Up TV;
- The ability to pause, rewind and record; and
- Access to Sky Go, which allows you to watch TV on the move.
As well as these features, the next generation Sky Q box with 1TB storage also comes as standard.
This plan is a great option if you’re looking for a fuss-free package that gives you access to some of the best entertainment out there.
What channels do you get with the basic Sky TV package?
The Sky Entertainment pack comes with a whopping 90 channels, including all of the BBC, RTÉ, and Channel 4 channels, as well as Sky Atlantic, Sky Living and Sky News.
Sky Entertainment pack - optional add-ons
We all like to be able to get the content we want, when we want it. With Sky’s range of optional extras you can really personalise your bundle, to make sure you’re getting all of the channels and content you want.
There are loads of extras you could consider with your basic Sky TV package, including:
- Sky Box Sets. This add-on comes with over 400 box sets, with new seasons and series being added each week.
- Sky Kids, which has 11 dedicated channels, especially for youngsters.
- Sky HD, which gives you access to over 40 channels in stunning HD.
- Sky Sports can also be added on to any Sky TV plan for an additional monthly charge to get access to content like Premier League games, major golf tournaments, and the F1.
- Sports Extra includes 6 dedicated channels where you can get an unbeatable range of live sport all in one place. With BT Sports, Premiers Sports and ESPN, you can enjoy UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League, Premier League games, Scottish FA Cup, Champions Cup and Challenge Cup Rugby, plus more.
- You could also choose to add on Sky Cinema, which gets you an additional 11 premium Cinema channels and over 1,000 movies on demand.
Sky Go is also an added bonus with all Sky TV packages - it’s included free of charge and means you can watch top content on the move via your smartphone, tablet or laptop.
And, in November 2018, Sky launched Netflix on the Sky Q box, along with a new ‘Ultimate On Demand’ package, which gives customers access to Sky Box Sets and Netflix for one monthly price.
If you want to get access to Virgin Media Sports, you’ll need to sign up directly with Virgin Media and access the content via their app.
I want to watch Sky TV in another room - what is the cost?
Anyone in a busy household will know that it’s difficult to always reach an agreement on what to watch. This is where Sky Multiscreen can come in handy, as it allows you to watch different Sky TV channels in different rooms, at the same time.
This costs an extra €17.50 per month, and you’ll also have to pay a once-off €120 fee for each Sky Q Mini box you need - i.e. one per TV.
Bundling your TV with broadband and phone
If you’re someone who likes to bundle together their broadband, phone and TV, Sky also has a number of bundles that could suit you.
The Sky Entertainment + Sky Fibre Unlimited & Talk Freetime bundle is a popular option for customers who want to bundle.
In addition to all of the features of the Sky Entertainment pack, this one also comes with unlimited Sky Fibre broadband with speeds up to 100Mb, and inclusive off-peak calls to the Republic of Ireland local and national landlines.
Like the standalone TV deals, with this bundle, customers can also choose to add on Sky Box Sets, Sky Kids, Sky HD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, or both, if they so wish.