A guide to NOW: Sky’s contract free streaming service
Want to watch award-winning TV and movies in Ireland, but don’t want to sign up for a lengthy contract? NOW could be what you’re looking for.
What is NOW?
NOW, formally NOW TV, is a streaming service from Sky, which allows you to stream block-buster HBO shows, latest film releases and live sport without a contract.
Is NOW worth it?
If you want the perks of a flexible streaming service, but with similar blockbuster shows, premier movies and live TV that come with a regular Sky TV subscription, NOW could be for you.
You can also dip and out as you like, with options like a daily, monthly or weekly pass. One downside is you’ll have to pay extra for surround-sound and sharp, HD visuals.
What’s on NOW?
You can choose between TV, Cinema, and Sports memberships. Here are the membership types:
- Entertainment Membership: Over 300 box sets on demand, plus 16 live channels including Sky Atlantic and Sky Comedy.
- Cinema Membership: Film buffs get over 1,000 Sky Cinema movies on demand - blockbusters, old favourites, and a new premiere every day.
- hayu Membership: Stream reality TV to your heart’s content, with over 8,000 episodes to choose from.
- Sports Membership: Get access to live sporting action on all 11 Sky Sports channels including Sky Sports Premier League.
- Sports Extra Membership: Lets you access 4 BT Sports and 2 Premier Sports channels.
Sky Cinema has the biggest blockbuster movies across Sky Premiere, Hits, Action, Animation, Family, Comedy, Sci-Fi, Horror, Thriller, Greats, Drama, and Select.
Get your fix of hit shows like Game of Thrones, The Wire and Succession on Sky entertainment.
Channels include Sky One, Sky Witness, Sky Atlantic, Sky Comedy, Gold, Comedy Central, Sci Fi, Sky History, Sky Nature, Sky Arts, Sky Documentaries and Sky Crime.
What about Disney+?
You can watch Disney+ on your NOW Smart Stick, simply:
- Subscribe to Disney+ directly through Disney
- Download the app from the NOW device App Store
- Sign in to your Disney account
- Start watching!
Disney+ isn’t included in any NOW memberships.
BT Sport on NOW
NOW’s Sport’s Extra Membership offers BT Sport for all the latest rugby, football, UFC coverage and more. The Sport’s Extra membership includes:
- BT Sport 1
- BT Sport 2
- BT Sport 3
- BT Sport 4
- Premier Sports 1
- Premier Sports 2
How much is NOW?
The price you pay depends on the NOW membership you choose.
Entertainment Membership and Cinema Membership is currently €11.99 per month, while hayu Membership is €5.99 per month.
Sports Membership is €38.99 per month, while Sports Extra Membership is €33.99 per month. For one-off sport events, you can also choose a day pass for €11.99.
NOW sometimes offer free trials or monthly discounts on their website.
How do I access to NOW?
Once you choose a membership on the NOW website and sign up, you can start streaming content instantly through your preferred device.
NOW is available on multiple devices, including PC or Mac, selected Sony Android TV models, iOS and Android phones or tablets, as well as via the NOW Box and the NOW Smart Stick.
NOW Smart Stick
A NOW Smart Stick is an easy way to turn any non-smart TV into a smart TV. A light, portable device, it plugs directly into the HDMI port of any TV so you can easily access your NOW content.
It also comes with the likes of All 4, and Virgin Media’s 3player, and allows you to access apps like YouTube and Vevo.
The Smart Stick is currently the cheapest streaming device on offer in Ireland, at just €25. Buying the Smart Stick in a bundle with membership can be even better value.
What is NOW Boost?
The NOW Boost add-on allows you to enjoy sports, movies and TV shows with even better picture and sound quality.
You’ll also get to stream on three devices at once instead of just one.
With NOW Boost you’ll enjoy:
- Full HD so you can watch all Sky Sports channels and selected TV shows and movies in 1080p video quality.
- Smoother, lag-free sporting action because Sky Sports will be available at 50 frames per second (except on certain devices like XBox One).
- Immersive audio if you have a surround sound speaker system or soundbar with Dolby Digital 5.1.
You can’t get NOW Boost if you’ve only got Sports Mobile Membership. You’ll need a minimum internet speed of 12Mbps to stream in 1080p.
How to cancel NOW TV
If you want to cancel your NOW TV subscription, follow these steps:
- Log in to your NOW TV account.
- Click the ‘My Account’ button on the top right-hand corner.
- Go to the ‘Passes & Vouchers’ section in the drop-down menu.
- Click on ‘Cancel Pass’ next to the pass you want to cancel.
- Select a reason why you want to cancel.
- Click ‘I Still Want to Cancel’.
You can only cancel a Sports Day Membership that has been bought in the last 14 days and not activated.
Get super fast broadband from just €30 a month
It only takes a few minutes to find a cheaper deal and start saving