Types of broadband in Mayo
There are many broadband options available in Mayo, so finding the right package for your needs can be tricky. Here are the main types in brief:
- ADSL broadband uses an existing home phone line to provide an internet connection of up to 24Mbps
- Fibre broadband uses fibre-optic cables and offers the fastest connection speeds of up to 1,000Mbps
- Mobile broadband uses your 4G or 5G mobile network to connect
- Satellite broadband uses satellite technology via a satellite dish and can connect any home, even in rural Ireland
Knowing more about each type of broadband should help you decide what you want and compare the right plans.
Broadband providers in Mayo
There are six main broadband providers in Mayo:
- Pure Telecom
- Virgin Media
What is the fastest broadband in Mayo?
Fibre broadband is the fastest type of broadband you can get and all seven providers offer it in Mayo. You’ll just need to check if it’s been rolled out to your town, by using the dropdown filter at the top of the page.
In Mayo, the SIRO network is operating in Castlebar and Westport, with speeds of up to 1,000Mbps. Virgin Media also offers speeds of up to 1,000Mbps and is available in Ballina and Castlebar.
If you can’t get a superfast fibre connection yet, you may be able to get part fibre which offers speeds of up to 100Mbps, plenty fast enough for most busy households.
Are you a tech lover?
We carried out research on 30 towns and cities in Ireland in 2021, to see which were the best for technology lovers.
We scored each town against a set of metrics e.g. access to electric chargers and 5G broadband coverage, to see which came out on top.
Castlebar in Mayo earned itself 8th place and Ballina in Mayo got the 10th spot, here’s the full article, Top 10 towns and cities in Ireland for tech lovers.
What is the cheapest broadband in Mayo?
Although price is bound to be a factor when choosing broadband, just opting for the cheapest package is unlikely to meet all of your needs. You should also think about:
- Broadband speed: The speed you need will depend on on your usage and how many devices you need to run together.
- Type of broadband: Your choice may be restricted depending on your location.
- The type of package: Bundling your broadband with other services e.g. landline and TV will work out cheaper than buying separately from different providers.
- Contract length: Decide if a longer or shorter contract would be better and look at the price during and after any introductory discount period.
Compare broadband packages in Mayo
Here are the main types of broadband package you can get:
- Broadband-only: If you use your mobile for calls and don’t need a phone line or a TV package, a broadband-only plan could suit you best.
- Broadband & phone: If you’d like to have a landline with your broadband, there are several deals to choose from. Find the best call package as well as the right broadband speed.
- Broadband, phone & TV: Bundling all three services together will save you the most. Check what TV channels are included and factor in the cost of any add-ons too.
Get super fast broadband from just €30 a month
It only takes a few minutes to find a cheaper deal and start saving