Cheap broadband in Ireland
Compare the cheapest broadband deals & packages. Find cheap internet & WiFi from Ireland’s top providers including Sky, eir, Virgin Media, Vodafone & more.
How to find the best cheap broadband deal
A cheap broadband plan can save money and reduce your monthly bills.
However, the cheapest broadband may not be the right plan for you so if you’re looking for cheap internet in Ireland, shop around and compare broadband plans to find the best value deal.
Here are some things to consider to make sure you pick the best broadband for your needs.
- Cost: Price is usually the first thing people check because everyone wants value for money. Before you just opt for the cheapest deal check the plan has all the features you need.
- Discount period: The advertised monthly cost may only apply to the discount period, so check whether the price is fixed for 3, 6 or 12 months and what you’ll be paying once the discount period ends.
- Speed: Your broadband speed is one of the most important factors, especially if you game online or stream movies and TV but you may need fewer gigabytes (GBs) than you think, so don’t just opt for the fastest deal.
- Availability near you: Some deals or types of connection aren’t available across all regions in Ireland. However, comparison sites and providers usually offer an address checking service to let you know what broadband is available in your area.
- Usage: Most providers offer unlimited broadband now, but not all so if you’re a heavy user be sure to check for any fair usage limits.
- Customer service: If you think you may need advice or live in an area where outages and issues are common customer service is important. Check customer reviews to get an idea of a provider’s customer service record.
- Contract length: Most broadband contracts run for 12 months, but check you’re not tying yourself into a longer deal than expected with expensive termination fees.
- Set up & equipment: When you switch broadband or move house, you usually need new equipment. This is sometimes free or subsidised, however, some providers may charge for new equipment and setup - so check for any upfront costs.
- Perks or rewards: Some broadband plans come with incentives like cashback, freebies or add-ons but don’t be tempted if you don’t need them. It’s more important to consider, price, speed, and availability.
Is cheap broadband any good?
If you need a basic, reliable broadband plan and use the internet for surfing, emailing, and downloading then a cheap broadband plan is ideal.
Bear in mind there could be a price hike once the introductory period ends, so be prepared to haggle the price down or switch again.
Here’s the pros and cons of choosing a cheap broadband deal.
- Saves money
- Available in most areas
- Ideal for most users
- Easy to upgrade
- Price may rise at end of the discount
- Maybe too slow for gaming or streaming
- May have data limits
- Contracts may be longer
Which type of broadband is the cheapest?
There are four main types of broadband available in Ireland. Some types of connection are more expensive than others and not all are available across Ireland.
- ADSL Broadband: This is often the cheapest broadband and uses your existing home phone line to provide an internet connection of up to 24Mb.
- Satellite broadband: This requires satellite dish installation. It can provide an internet connection to any home, even very remote properties but can require equipment and set up costs upfront.
- Mobile Broadband: This uses the same technology as your mobile phone, so many networks offer mobile broadband via mobile dongles and 4G/5G SIMs. It can work out expensive but it’s good for internet on the go.
- Fibre Broadband: This is the fastest broadband but it’s usually the most expensive option. It may not available for people in rural areas, but it’s worth checking SIRO or Fibre rollout in your area because it’s getting cheaper and reaching more areas in Ireland.
What broadband speed do you need?
If you want cheap broadband you may have to compromise on the speed, but you may not need as much as you think for everyday internet use.
If you only use your broadband to check your email, a speed of around 5Mbps will be enough, but you’re probably using the internet for a lot more. The broadband speed you need depends on how many people live in your home and what they’re using the internet for.
If you’d like to find out more about how much data online activities use check out our guide, What broadband speed do you need?
Which broadband provider is cheapest in Ireland?
Broadband providers are always competing with each other to offer the cheapest broadband deal which is why it’s a good idea to shop around when you need a new internet provider.
Our broadband checker finds the best value deals near you for the first 12 months from Ireland’s top broadband providers. You can compare:
- the discount price
- the price thereafter
- the total year 1 cost
- extra offers
What is the cheapest broadband deal?
You can see from the table that broadband prices are all quite similar, so it may ultimately depend on what’s available near you or whether you bundle your broadband with other products.
Is it cheaper to bundle your broadband, phone & TV services?
Yes, usually bundling your broadband and TV means you’ll save money. Providers like Vodafone, Sky and eir often give discounts or incentives to customers who sign up for multiple products or bundle their services together.
Bundling also makes it easier to manage your bills, because you only have a single tariff to pay. On balance, if you watch a lot of movies, TV, or sport, bundling might be the best option for you.
Which providers offer good value broadband & TV deals?
There are four providers which offer a selection of broadband & TV deals in Ireland:
Use our broadband checker and tick the filter to ‘Include a TV package’ to see what broadband & TV packages are available where you live.
Can you get low cost broadband without a phone line?
Yes, you can get broadband in Ireland without a landline. Take a look at our guide to wireless broadband choices to find out about your options and which one may work out the cheapest.
Find cheap broadband in your area
The best way to find cheap broadband in your area is to use our broadband checker. You can use our filters to find the best broadband deal in Ireland by comparing the price, speed, and contract length of broadband plans near you.
Get super fast broadband from just €30 a month
It only takes a few minutes to find a cheaper deal and start saving