What is an internet provider?
An internet provider or internet service provider (ISP), is a company that consumers and businesses rely on for their internet connection. Because of the competitive nature of the market, an ISP will offer prospective customers different types of broadband and a variety of bundles.
These will typically be packages offered by an internet service provider that not only include broadband, but also the option of home phone, digital television and in some cases mobile services. Popular providers in Ireland offering broadband bundles include:
- Virgin Media Ireland - Great value, super-fast, fibre-optic broadband, digital TV and home phone packages.
- Sky Ireland - Premium TV, the home of Premier League football and box office movies, makes Sky broadband, home phone and TV packages a great option for consumers who like their films and sports.
- eir - Offering unique triple play bundles which include broadband, home phone and mobile. eir also provide great value features available with each bundle exclusive to its customers such as eir’s MusicHub and eir’s StudyHub.
- Magnet - Magnet have invested heavily in creating one of the most advanced telecoms networks in the country. Magnet deliver great value, high speed broadband packages and is also available with home phone and TV bundles.
Compare the latest broadband bundle deals.
This is the most popular type of broadband and most ISPs offer this type of broadband package.
- Virgin Media Ireland - One of the best known providers for broadband only packages. With Virgin Media you will be guaranteed to have super-fast broadband in your home.
- Vodafone - Straightforward and easy to understand broadband packages. Vodafone broadband deals represent great value for money.
- Digiweb - You can always expect a fast and reliable broadband service from this Irish broadband provider. Digiweb offer every type of home broadband including ADSL, fibre-optic, wireless and satellite broadband only deals as well as great value broadband and phone bundle options.
Compare the latest broadband only packages.
The newest, quickest, and having the greatest reliability regarding home connections, cable broadband can reach download speeds up to 1000Mbps.
- Virgin Media Ireland - Currently offering the fastest cable (or fibre optic broadband) in Ireland, also available with home phone and TV packages.
- Magnet - Available to over 15,000 homes in Ireland, Magnet’s fibre to the home broadband service is a popular choice with consumers in these areas.
Vodafone and Digiweb are now also providing super-fast fibre broadband services with download speeds capable of reaching up to 70Mb.
A type of portable broadband, mobile broadband is set up via a mobile dongle/modem that’s connected to a PC or laptop’s USB port. Once set up broadband is available, as long as the area has mobile phone coverage.
Mobile broadband is available via the main mobile phone providers in Ireland:
Compare the latest mobile broadband deals.