What is ADSL Broadband and how does it work?
Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line (ADSL) broadband uses an existing home phone line to provide an internet connection of up to 24Mb.
As this technology uses the phone line in your home, you’ll need a home phone line installed in order to avail of it. It’s also important to note that your distance from the nearest telephone exchange and the quality of your phone connection could impact your speed.
Why should I get ADSL broadband?
As ADSL broadband is available through your phone line, one of the big advantages is that it is widely available and can provide a reliable connection to the majority of homes throughout Ireland. You’ll have plenty of choice if you opt for an ADSL broadband plan, and you can also bundle ADSL broadband with TV, as well as using the phone line for your home phone service.
Who provides ADSL broadband?
Providers of ADSL broadband in Ireland include:
What is the cheapest ADSL broadband deal?
The cheapest ADSL broadband package on the market at the moment is the 24Mb Broadband & Off-Peak Calls + eir sport plan from eir, which comes in at €29.99 for the first 12 months, and €59.99 thereafter.
How do I compare ADSL broadband deals?
As with any broadband service you’re signing up to, there are a number of things you need to consider before signing up to ADSL broadband, such as:
- broadband speed,
- contract length,
- discount period,
- installation costs, and
- bundle options.
Make sure you take note of the discount period, and the price of your broadband package after this ends, so you can budget accordingly. You should also be aware that broadband providers advertise ‘up to’ speeds, which are not a guarantee of speeds you will get - this will depend on a number things, such as the type of connection you have and your distance from the nearest exchange.
Can I bundle ADSL broadband?
Yes, it’s possible to bundle ADSL broadband. Obviously, as it comes into your home via a phone line, it’s very straightforward to bundle with a home phone plan. It’s also possible to add on a TV package to an ADSL plan.
- If you want to get a TV and broadband package, the eir Vision TV Essential & Broadband plus Off-Peak + eir sport plan from eir is the cheapest package on the market at the moment.
- If you just want to bundle broadband and phone, eir offers the cheapest plan.
- The cheapest broadband, TV and phone plan on the market is the eir Vision TV Essential & Broadband plus Off-Peak + eir sport plan, which costs €44.98 for the first 12 months, and €74.98 thereafter.
I can’t get ADSL - what are the alternatives?
ADSL is not available everywhere, and you won’t be able to get it if you don’t have or don’t want a phone line installed. If ADSL broadband doesn’t work for you, there are plenty of alternatives:
- Fibre broadband will generally give you the best speeds and performance;
- Satellite broadband, which is set up in a household through the installation of a satellite dish, could also be an option, if you can’t get fibre; and
- Mobile Broadband, which provides internet access through a mobile phone signal via mobile dongles and 4G SIMs.